I was so excited to be nominated for the Liebster Award by Surprise Mama! It is supposed to be an award for a newer blog with under 200 followers. I literally believe that I hit 200 at the very moment she nominated me, so I’m going to accept it!
In order to accept this award, I need to post 11 random facts about me, answer the 11 questions posed by my nominator (Surprise Mama– check out her wonderful tales about new mamahood), nominate 11 other blogs, and ask the nominees 11 questions of my own.
First, the 11 totally random facts about me:
1. I am a Gemini, and my whole life I have loved agate. I carried one around since age 5 (I still have it). I found out only in my 30’s that agate is my zodiac stone!! How weird is that?
2. No matter what I do, I can’t keep my eyeliner from smudging.
3. My biggest hobby is beadwork. I have an attic full o’ beads at home and beaded creations all over the house. I attend the Bead and Button Show annually in Milwaukee. I think this will be my 7th year! I have recently introduced my 7 year old daughter to the joys of beading – she’s a natural! I’ll insert a shameless plug in here too, for my Etsy jewelry site.
4. I am terrified of sharks and bears. I don’t even like to swim in lakes because I am convinced that there will be a confused shark in there.
5. I think my husband is the smartest guy alive.
6. I love to eat at Sonic. They have sweet potato tots, you can get Sprite Zero with sugar free flavors added, and they make the best malteds evah. What’s not to like? They even have a happy hour!
7. My mom was a French teacher. My whole life growing up, I had to study French. I even had language tapes to do while I washed the dishes.
8. I love photography. I especially love shooting wildlife and children in action. I am begging my hubs for a longer telephoto lens as we speak.
9. I am a music crazed audiophile. I have a huge music collection. I like just about every genre, but my fave is Techno/Electronica/Dance
10. I know cuss words in Turkish. Don’t ask.
11. I was born in Los Angeles. Somehow I wound up in Alabama. Go figure. I am really a big city girl.
Questions from Surpise Mama:
1. My favorite book that was made into a movie was To Kill A Mockingbird. And yes, the movie totally rocks!
2. I would usually choose chocolate over vanilla.
3. My proudest moment (or moments) have been watching my little daughter turn into the wonderful person that she is. I like to think I had something to do with that. 🙂
4. The best job or volunteer position I ever held was when I was paid by the university biology department to take care of the amphibians and reptiles while their owner/professor was away. I held hellbenders, fed rare land tortoises, stroked snakes, and wiggled my fingers in the piranha tank to see if I could get them to bite me. Nope.
5. Definitely stilettos over sneakers. I am all about comfort but I throw caution to the winds when it comes to a gorgeous pair of shoes. I am petite, so the higher the heel, the better. I think shoes from this decade are about as sexy as they have ever been.
6. If I were to teach a class, it would be called “Intro To Beadwork”. I love to teach.
7. If I were to take a class, it would most assuredly have the word “bead” in it somewhere.
8. The best gift I ever received was my annual birthday trip to Bead and Button. I know. Enough with the beads already.
9. My favorite blog is Other Nations. I am total biology/science geek, and this guy writes about fascinating stuff. One of his blogs was about beetles that shoot acid out of their butts. I’m not kidding. He even cites references for his pieces. And they’re usually about something crazy like the world’s most amazing animal penises. And he’s totally hilarious. He has this deadpan humor that just cracks me up.
10. If I could travel around the world, 5 destinations that I would not miss would be Morocco, Madagascar, the Galapagos Islands, Thailand and Italy.
11. What scares me? Lots of things scare me. I mentioned sharks and bears. As a physician, the thought of having to deal with a disastrous medical emergency scares the hell out of me. Daily.
Next, I nominate 11 blogs to which I would like to pass on the Liebster Award.
1. Uncomfortably Honest and Honestly Uncomfortable – this blog is as advertised. Not much is off limits with this woman and I love her blunt, frank truthfulness and her fearlessness at tackling topics that most people would not wish to discuss.
2. Candid Kay – I think she is one of the sweetest bloggers I know. She’s always quick with a comment and I always leave her posts feeling somehow uplifted.
3. From Playgrounds To Politics – this blog indeed covers a wide range of topics, and I really enjoy this writer’s take on her subjects.
4. Homemade Sarcasm – according to the author herself, this blog offers “a sarcastic view on cooking, baking, and everything crafty”
5. Rosie Smartie Pants – very intimately visits issues that many of us relate to: depression, anxiety, bipolar disorder, and coping with day-to-day setbacks.
6. A Girl Named Clay – in the words of the author herself, “life – love – feminism & the written word”. Very well written.
7. Rose Chimera – one of my friends from blogosphere – has been through a lot and has a lot to say.
8. Breaking The (Shopping) Contract – a confessed reforming debtor and shopaholic – she shares tips on managing stress, returning to school, and with each post shares her tally of “unnecessary” purchases for that period. We can all relate.
9 – 11. HELLFIRE. Do I have to give up the award? Most of the blogs I follow have more than 200 followers, I find. I will keep combing the web and will update this with 3 more nominees.
Now for my 11 questions for my nominees: (Drum Roll)
1. What are you worst at?
2. What is your favorite type of music?
3. Do you consider yourself creative?
4. Where were you born?
5. If you could be reincarnated as an animal, what would you be?
6. What do you think about Facebook?
7. What was the worst date you ever went on?
8. If your blog could be remembered for one thing, what would it be?
9. Share one childhood fear.
10. What is your favorite season?
11. Is it better to have loved and lost, or to never have loved at all?
Thanks again to Surprise Mama for the flattering nomination! I’m all exhausted now, just from checking to see that all my links work. I’ll just have time to iron my scrubs (ha) and check on my Pinterest (total addict) and it’s off to bed for me!