Sex Stuff Teens Should Know
I realized that my OB/Gyn self should make a post for the teens, since you are new at this stuff.
1. Yes, oral sex counts as sex.
2. By law, your doctor can’t give any information about you to your parents, or anyone else, unless you sign a form saying it’s OK.
3. No, I will not be the one who tells your mom you’re pregnant. You gotta tell her. I don’t want to be around any flying bullets.
4. Yes, you can get pregnant the first time. And the second, and the third…
5. You can catch diseases having sex that can kill you.
6. There are some sexually transmitted diseases that can keep you from ever becoming a mom if they don’t get treated.
7. There is a safe vaccine that prevents cervical cancer and genital warts. It’s almost 100% effective. You can get it between ages 9-26. Ask for it. Ignore people who try to talk you out of it.
8. There is nothing shameful about giving up your baby for adoption. If you are strong and smart enough to do it, you’re a hero.
9. Some states still require that we notify your parents if you are seeking an abortion. Google your state laws.
10. I don’t do abortions, but I won’t hate you, judge you, or stop seeing you if you have one.
11. Ask questions when you are talking to us. We won’t think you’re silly, or slutty, or dumb. We don’t judge and we will tell you the truth.
12. If your friend told you something about sex that sounds crazy, it’s probably crazy. Ask one of us.
13. Guys are dogs. Especially guys your age. They will screw anything that holds still long enough. They will say anything to get laid. Just sayin’.
14. If you are under 18, and the guy is over 18, they can be arrested for rape. Even if you are OK with this, if your parents find out and call the cops, your guy will be arrested and will be a registered sex offender for life. That is a life wrecker.
15. Do not lie about your age.
16. If you are in high school, any college-aged guy who wants to sleep with you is immature and shallow and will screw you over and dump you. And if the guy is over thirty and he tries it, he is a FREAK. And a pedophile. He is not in love with you. He might want to kill you and bury you in his basement.
17. I am totally not kidding about #16.
18. If it sounds like a bad idea, it probably is.
19. Parents are a pain in the butt sometimes, but they actually know about more than you think. If they warn you about something, they are not trying to ruin your fun, they are trying to save your ass from horrible shit. Same from us doctors.
20. 1 in 3 women will be sexually assaulted in their lifetime. That’s a LOT. Be smart. Don’t be one of them. Watch your drug and alcohol intake around guys, especially ones you don’t know.
21. Never accept a drink from someone you don’t know, and never walk away from a drink without one of your friends watching it. Date rape drugs are out there. A lot.
22. Travel in packs. Predators are more likely to go after you if you are alone.
23. IF YOU ARE RAPED, go to the hospital ER immediately. Do not shower, bathe, wash your hands, clean your nails, douche, or change your clothes. There is evidence against your attacker in all of those.
24. You can be raped by an acquaintance, a date, a friend, a boyfriend, or even a husband. If you said no, and they made you, it’s rape. The law supports you 100% on that.
25. Use condoms. Carry them with you. I know, blah blah blah, they’re no fun, guys don’t like them, whatever. USE THEM. They will protect you from getting pregnant, and from some really nasty diseases, some of which we can’t treat.
26. A guy who brings his own condoms is a SMART, COOL, and CONFIDENT guy.
27. If we tell you not to have sex while we’re treating you, don’t. You’ll catch whatever it is back again. Make sure the guy got treated for the infection too. Don’t have sex with him if he didn’t.
28. If you feel like you don’t trust the guy, you probably shouldn’t.
29. Don’t jump into having sex. Once you start, it is very hard to stop. Make sure your partner is someone you care for and trust if you’ve gotta do it. If you start out having sex with someone you don’t care about, it will mess up your love life forever.
30. Anyone who threatens to dump you if you won’t have sex sucks. Dump them.
31. Sexting will screw up your life. Once you send a naked picture out, it belongs to the whole world. EVERYONE can find it and see it. Like your parents. Your minister. Every guy in your school. Once you put that pic out there, you can NEVER get it back.
32. I am totally also serious about #31.
33. Never EVER tell a stranger online your real life name or address, and no pictures. His avatar may look like a hot high school guy, but if you don’t know him, he really might be some forty year-old guy with yellow teeth, or a baby raper who wants to tie you up in some building.
34. Never use sex to pay for drugs. If you start that, you will totally be screwed, in more ways than one. When you were a kid, did you really wanna grow up to be a crack ho?
35. Ask your doc about what to expect if this is your first visit. Ask to see things and find out what we will do and why.
36. Using birth control does NOT mean you are a slut. It means you’re smart as hell.
37. There are a million ways to get birth control that are free or very cheap. Ask your doc; we really don’t want you to be pregnant at a young age and we will do ANYTHING to make sure you can afford and get birth control.
38. If you have unprotected sex and are worried about getting pregnant, call us within 72 hours of having sex and we can get you a pill to help keep you from getting pregnant. And no, the medicine does NOT cause abortions.
39. Don’t be scared of your OB/Gyn. We can help you with LOTS of stuff. We’re not looking to bust you. Believe it or not, we’re mostly pretty cool people. You can tell because it doesn’t freak us out to talk about random sex stuff. We get paid to talk about it.
40. Telling ANYONE anything about you in our office is against the law unless you sign a form giving us permission. They can fine us up to 10,000 dollars if we do tell anyone. We really don’t want to throw away that kind of money.
41. Some sexually transmitted diseases must be reported to the health department, so they can find and treat your partners. They do NOT call your parents.
42. Having sex with lots of people is a terrible idea. Your chances of catching diseases, getting pregnant, and other bad things go way up. You are considered high risk if you do.
43. If you are wondering if you might be gay, or you feel confused about that, we are happy to answer ANY questions you have. 3% of the population is gay. We take care of GLBT people all the time. We don’t judge. And we won’t try to “talk you out of it.”. If one of us does try to, find a new doctor.
44. If anyone, even a doctor or a coach or a teacher or someone you babysit for, says things about sex that make you nervous, or asks questions about your sex life that are creepy and none of their business, stay away from them. If they continue, tell a parent or some other adult you trust.
45. If someone in your life is hurting you, abusing you, or having sex with you against your will, your OB/Gyn office has phone numbers on little pieces of paper that you can hide in your clothes. Call the number, and someone will come pick you up right away, no questions asked, and put you in a secret safe place.
46. If you are pregnant and hiding it from everyone, DON’T. If you have the baby in secret, DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT KILLING OR HIDING THE BABY. Almost every state has a law that you can drop a baby off at a hospital without being arrested. Don’t be a baby killer. They’ll catch you, arrest you, put your picture in the paper, and put you in jail.
47. If you are pregnant, the earlier you find out and make plans, the better. Don’t wait until it’s too late to make any decisions.
48. If you plan to stay pregnant, find an OB doctor right away. Most pregnant teens can get health care. We will make sure you and the baby are growing safely. You or the baby are more likely to die or get sick if you aren’t seeing a doctor.
49. Be honest with your doctor about drugs you are taking, even if they are illegal. We are not your parents. We are not the cops. We’re not going to bust you. We just want to help you get off the drugs if you need help. If you are pregnant, there are special things to do for you and the baby that will help keep you from dying because of the drugs.
50. We are here for you to use, for information, help, birth control, advice, and laws dealing with the things you are dealing with. Use us! We are like Google for female stuff.
51. Ask your friends about an OB/Gyn that they like. Your mom should almost certainly be seeing one of us. Chances are, she would rather take you than let something bad happen to you.